Wednesday 18 June 2008

Poetry Evening at St John's in the Village

Tonight I did a poetry reading at the annual poetry reading at St John's in the Village. This was another brilliant experience - I loved it. They have been advertising it on posters outside for weeks. You could submit your favourite poem and read it. I was the youngest person there by about 30 years. Almost everyone had submitted several poems, I just had one. We had 76 poems in total, 13 readers, and 12 people in the audience. A lot of the poems were written by the readers themselves - I was thinking I should have taken a poem written by someone I know and read it out to a New York audience - that would have been brilliant! But I still had so much fun.

I read Autobiography by Louis MacNeice. After I submitted it I also remembered another of his poems I like, Snow, but I didn't think it was right for a mid-summer poetry reading.

I am thinking of organising a Poetry Picnic when I get back - if anyone is interested, let me know.

No comments: