Friday 20 June 2008

Book Arts Mail Art exhibition




This week I went to the Mail Art exhibition at the Center for Book Arts. It reminded me of my 30th birthday postcard exhibition* so I really liked it.

Did you know that Mail Art was a whole art movement between the 1950s and 1990s?

For those of you who would like to get an early start thinking up ideas for my next birthday postcard exhibition (it will definitely surface again) the postcard at the top is by Yoko Ono, and it says "a hole to see the sky through."

*My 30th birthday exhibition was inspired by the annual Royal College of Art Secret Postcard exhibition. A lot of artists submit postcards to the exhibition, including famous artists and RCA students. All the postcards are priced at £35 (I think) but you don't find out who did it until you have bought it and the exhibition has closed - the names are on the back. A friend of a friend actually did buy a Yoko Ono one last year. This is an old article from the Guardian here but they do it every year.








1 comment:

Ruud Janssen said...

Hi Lynn, Enjoye your posting. Yes, mail-art is a complete movement. Did it stop in 1990? I haven't noticed that. I've been going on like many others too. But close friends and well known mail-artists died, I know. I have documented quite abit tto in the about 30 years that passes by....


Ruud Janssen
www.iuoma.org