Tuesday 10 June 2008

Best street in New York for thrift store shopping

At the weekend I went to four flea markets in Manhattan. The best one was at Hell's Kitchen but there weren't any bargains to be had. I was look for glass beads, and thinking I had found one I liked, asked the price - $35. You must be joking.

I think there are better finds to be had at thrift stores. There are some great ones on West 17th Street:

Housing Works Thrift Shop 143 West 17th Street
Angel Street Thrift Shop 118 West 17th Street
17 @ 17 Thrift Shop17 West 17th Street

The first two are the best of the three. I just saw a pair of Costume National aubergine shoes with a block heel in Housing Works (size 36 and a half, so no good to me). I don't usually like second hand shoes, but these are hardly worn! Someone snap them up quick! This is the store I saw a $30 chair which actually would have been great for my kitchen.

My find of the week however, are two stores next to each other, Pippin Vintage Home and Pippin Vintage Jewellery. There are great finds in both of these (it's where the picture I'm considering is from) and nothing is overpriced. I will definitely be back there. I think it's a great way to spend an hour or so.

There's photos and some comments about these here.

There's another nice shop on this street, between 6th and 5th Avenues, called Apartment Therapy, which sells modern homewares.

No comments: