Saturday 14 June 2008

Food Tour of Queens




Today I went on a food tour of Queens, in Jackson Heights. Well, it was advertised as such, but in reality it was more of a scavenger hunt, we were sent off in pairs to explore and bring food back to an apartment. It was still fun. Not many photos as my camera battery has died.

This was an enormous fish which scared me in an Indian restaurant - it was about four feet long. We tried to take a picture of it with Linda's hand in it (Linda, my co-scavenger) but the camera was dead by then.

Our menu was:
- samosas
- Chinese dumplings
- tacos
- elotes (corn on the cob with topping)
I was a little disappointed as some people hadn't been able to find their things, and they were the ones I was looking forward to:
- Vietnamese spring rolls
- Korean noodles
- fried plantains
- beans and rice
If I'm absent for a few days, it may be due to food poisoning....no symptoms, but I wasn't totally convinced by a few of the things I sampled...
The neighbourhood is one of the most ethnically diverse in America - 112 nationalities. It was fun to walk round such an eclectic neighbourhood. Find out some more information about it here.

No comments: