Saturday 21 June 2008

Mermaid Parade at Coney Island

This afternoon I went to the Mermaid Parade at Coney Island. I haven't got many photographs, mainly because I got bored after watching about three floats, and went to the New York City Aquarium (not the best I've visited, but I did see some more coral) instead. There were over 500 floats, and after a few hours, people were starting to get a bit agitated as we were essentially trapped in by the mermaid route.


Lots of the visitors dress up too.

Coney Island is actually a really nice, long and sandy beach. Even though it was probably the busiest Saturday of the year, it wasn't too overcrowded (although maybe everyone was watching the parade.) I've heard it's really lovely in the early morning. I would like to walk along this beach in the winter. Maybe in November, when I plan to return to New York as an election tourist.
On the way back, my subway got stuck in a tunnel for 25 minutes. Not my favourite experience, so thanks to Patricia, who talked to me and calmed me down with some self-help speak.

No comments: