Tuesday 1 July 2008

Museum retreat

I've just been on a museum retreat to Washington DC - a retreat from the heat. I spent most of my time at the museums, in an indoors and air-conditioned state of bliss. If you like museums, Washington DC has the best in the world. I went to lots of the Smithsonian museums, and they are all free too. My favourites were the Freer Gallery, American Indian Museum, Renwick Gallery and the National Portrait Gallery. There was so much to see.

Courtyard at the Freer Gallery.

The Peacock Room at the Freer Gallery.

The adjoining roof at the Portrait Gallery and Museum of American Art. (I liked the hip hop exhibition, 20th Century Americans, bird lady photos, presidential portraits, posters as art - it was amazing.)
Windows at the above museum.

Museum of the American Indian: beautiful beaded costumes, and an interesting cafe which sells Native American food; today I had sunchokes, which are the root of a native sunflower.




No comments: